Photos by Andy Whitehouse
Team Raleigh trio Evan Oliphant, Tom Scully and Lachlan Norris all finished in the top ten to bolster the team’s Tour Series lead at the second round of racing in Durham last night (16th May).
The Durham race presented a significantly different challenge from Tuesday’s Round 1 race in Kirkcaldy, featuring a cobbled climb every two or three minutes which really put the pressure on the riders to maintain a high pace.
Going into the race, Raleigh knew they needed to dominate the top ten to secure the all important team points.
As Evan Oliphant told Velo UK: “It was pretty savage from the start but we were just making sure we had three or four in every move and we had four at one point.
“Kristian (House) went at one point and we were going to go after him but I said we had to wait because we’re more interested in the team than the individual so said lets stay together.”
Raleigh are now four points clear at the top of the team rankings with nine rounds of racing to go and keep the red leaders’ jerseys going into round three, which takes place in Stoke-on-Trent on Tuesday.
Highlights of the racing will be shown on ITV4 tonight (Friday) at 10am with a repeat on Saturday morning at 9am.
Round Two Durham, Individual Result
1) Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
2) Tobyn Horton, GBR, Team UK Youth
3) Roman Van Uden, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing
4) Andy Tennant, GBR, Madison Genesis
5) Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh
6) Evan Oliphant, GBR, Team Raleigh
7) Lachlan Norris, AUS, Team Raleigh
8) Ian Bibby, GBR, Madison Genesis
9) Steve Lampier, GBR, Node4 Giordana Racing
10) Richard Handley, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
Round Two Durham, Team Result
1) Team Raleigh
2) Madison Genesis
3) Node4 Giordana Racing
4) Team UK Youth
5) Rapha Condor JLT
6) Team Hope Factory Racing
7) MG Maxifuel
8) Team IG Sigma Sport
9) Metaltek – Knights of Old
10) Spin Rotor – Primal – C-Originals
Team Standings, post-Round Two
1) Team Raleigh, 20pts
2) Team UK Youth, 16pts
3) Madison Genesis, 15pts
4) Node4 Giordana Racing, 15pts
5) Rapha Condor JLT, 14pts
6) MG Maxifuel, 8pts
7) Metaltek – Knights of Old, 7pts
8) Team Hope Factory Racing, 7pts
9) Team IG Sigma Sport, 6pts
10) Spin Rotor – Primal – C-Originals, 2pts
IG Sprints winner Round Two Durham: Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
Costa Express Fastest Lap Durham: Niklas Gustavsson, SWE, Team UK Youth, 2:15.1
IG Sprints standings, post-Round Two
1) Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, 14pts
2) Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh, 14pts
3) Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh, 11pts
4) Mike Northey, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing, 7pts
5) Roman Van Uden, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing, 7pts
Highlights of Round Two in Durham will be shown on ITV4 at 10pm on Friday 17th May, with a repeat at 9am on Saturday 18th May. Round Three of the Series takes place in Stoke-on-Trent on Tuesday 21st May, which also sees the opening round of the women’s Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series.